Re: [Harp-L] Seydel 1847 inquiry

Capt Ron wrote:
> Tim, can u pls tell me  what key harp u have and if are
> implying that it OB'd beautifully  before u tweaked it?

I bought my 1847 in the key of C.  Out of the box I had no trouble
conjuring overblows on 4-5-6.  The 1 hole overblow was a little more
problematic, and in fact the 1 and 2 blows were both a little too airy
for my taste.  I lowered the gaps on the draw reeds right away and
fixed that problem.  I played it like that for a little while with
reasonable results, but then went to my preferred tuning of Paddy
Richter with it (man, it took some work to move that stainless steel
reed a wholetone), and adjusted the gaps a little more in the process
to get it where I want it.  Paddy Richter tuning necessitates the two
hole overblow to get the Ab (rather than the 3 draw 1 1/2 step bend),
so I am pretty picky about the 1 and 2 hole setups.

-tim