Re: [Harp-L] re: Zen Harmonica

I like Ice's advice.

I've found moving around on stage to be very
distracting for me.  I know that it is much easier for
me to drop the ego when I have my focus.  That usually
means I am not moving around.

I one time read a book about how some use moving
around as a crutch to making music.  I used to stand
pretty still out of nerves.  Especially when I first
started gigging.  Then I went through a stage where I
thought I should make sure I was moving around a lot.
Then, as I started to "get it", in terms of harp
playing, I went back to standing still (now with
confidence and some convivtion).

I also think that the more elaborate I play something,
the harder it is to play it well if my body isn't
focused.  When I catch myself in the zone, or reflect
back on that experience, my body is definetly still.
Not Derek Trucks still, but close.  I can't find my
space by dancing around.  I don't even tap the beat
with my feet anymore.  I am probably pretty boring to
watch.

When I am not playing, I'll actually try to engage in
some standing meditation.  But then again, when the
harp isn't in my mouth I also need to work the crowd.
If my ego is getting to me, I'll stop, close my eyes,
and focus on my breathing.  That always help.  I find
it very easy to find the space and groove when not
playing.  Now doing that with the whole time the harp
is in my mouth...

However, to each his own.  It is not the means that is
important.  Ice offers a great place to start, but I
can't disagree with others' results from moving to the
music.  That is a personal thing.

Mike

http://www.soundclick.com/theelectricstarlightspaceanimals.htm