[Harp-L] Harping in the Moment

In a message dated 5/17/2007 11:07:15 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
harmonicacraig@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Rarely,  a whole band can get in this "detached zone"
together; that's when magic  happens!

I also work with groups of musicians to help them understand how to lock in
with each other.

Consider the blues shuffle - hut-tah  hut-tah  hut-tah   hut-tah

There exists sound on the "hut" and sound on the "tah", but in between them
is a piece of silence. It's like a triplet "fi-ga-ro fi-ga-ro" where the "ga"
is  silence.

Begin to focus on the silence between the sounds. I'll have a blues band
start to enlarge that silence while shortening the sound on "hut" and "tah" to
almost "ht" and "t". Now, if the drummer, bass, guitar, key, harmonica, etc all
 play the shuffle groove and put their attention on aligning the silence
together, hearing clearly that there is silence in the midst of the sound and
locking into it, that band will start to have a massive sounding clean, tight
and sharp shuffle groove. Siegel-Schwall were known for this in their  hey-day.

The Iceman