Re: [Harp-L] Amp to run with effects?

Mike Fugazzi wrote:
<...I'd rather not run effects through my
<main stage rig.  I would like a small amp to run
<effects into separately and then A/B.  I was thinking
<of maybe even using a keyboard or bass amp.  Does
<anybody have any suggestions?
<
<My main amp is the harpgear.com Double Trouble, and I
<have a Bassman Ltd.  If it was similar in volume to
<the DT, that be perfect!

I use a Peavey KB/A 100 keyboard amp. It works great, but if I was buying ONLY for harmonica (as opposed to keyboard too), I'd get a smaller keyboard amp--something with a 12" woofer instead of the 15" in the Peavey. (However, that 15" speaker really works nice when I run an octave divider on the harp...)

I use the keyboard amp in two ways:
1) I run the output from my Digitech RP200 to it. Big sound, works well as an onstage monitor or for gigs where I don't get a channel to the PA.
2) I run a line out from my Crate VC508 to the Peavey, and get the sound of the Crate with another 65 watts behind it. You could do the same thing with the line out from the Harpgear DT.

You can also use the keyboard amp as a clean channel for the harp. This works best when said amp has a lo-Z input with a decent mic preamp behind it, which the Peaveys, Rolands, and others do.

With an A/B/Y pedal, which sells for about $30-$40 new, you can channel switch between these choices for about as much variety in your sound as anyone can use on one gig.

Keyboard amps are just self-contained PA systems, and if you put a good sound into one, it will come out the speaker sounding the same, only a lot louder. They're not very expensive, either--you can get 35-50 watts with a 12" speaker and a high frequency horn for a few hundred bucks. It works for me, literally.

At this point, The Iceman would observe that the Bose system that looks like a pole on a stand sounds great and does all the above. And it does, but it's a lot more expensive. However, if you've got the cash, I wouldn't argue with it. I've heard that system in action, and it really does sound great everywhere in the room.

Thanks, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com
latest mp3s always at http://broadjam.com/rhunter