Re: [Harp-L] Recommended Scales on chrom?

The conventional wisdom to this question is to learn all the stuff you will
need. At first glance, learning keys by the Circle of Fifths or Circle of
Fourths seems to be a logical method.

The better way, is to take small bites into musical concepts. Focus on just
one scale to start --C -- the universal "easy" scale that has no flats or
sharps. (Accidentals don't count!?)

This way you can "see" or "learn" what a major scale is, what a minor scale
is, what a pentatonic scale is and what a blues scale is.

And you're only learning on thing at a time. And not getting frustrated.

And your ear is learning what they sound like. So at some later point, you
NEED to learn a Bb scale, if you master the C scale -- you will already know
what a major scale sounds like -- and you can figure it out after you start on
the first note--Bb.

If you start with a C scale, it's built into your harp. Start on Hole 1.
1. major C (A minor)
2. pentatonic C (A minor)
3. blues C

Otherwise, you are setting up a virtually impossible (actually, a really
impossible) task. And you will spend a lifetime just learning scales you will
never use. Better to learn a few easy scales in their varieties: major, minor,
pentatonic, blues and what they sound like so you make your own scales for the
keys you need.

* Learn the C scale.
If you learn the C major scale for two octaves you already know the A minor
scale (same notes as C scale, only it runs from A to A instead).

*Learn the C major pentatonic scale. C D E G A
If you learn the C major pentatonic scale, you know the notes for A minor
pentatonic. A C D E G

Learn the C blues cale.
If you know the C major pentatonic scale, C D E G A, the blues scale changes
a few notes: C Eb F F# G Bb.

After you finish with the C scale, start on the F and G scales because they
have only one black key. And if you don't have a piano keyboard, get one. They
only cost $50-$100. A piano keyboard is the most logical way to figure out
music because the piano keyboard was designed to fit the musical system. Why do
you think there is no black key between E&F and B&C? That's the way music
works. that's why.

The reason you use the F and G scales next is two fold. They are easy and
almost the same as C. They also give you an easy way to test or prove that what
works for the C pentatonic works for F and C as well without getting into any
tricky translation problems.

If you want to hear what these scales sound like, there are a few hundred on
the web. Just search and listen.

The real issue is not to get overwhelmed with all that is out there.   Like
Robert bonfiglio says, learn a scale a week. But you don't want to spend your
practice time just doing scales. You want to play tunes and rhythms and other
stuff, like figuring out tunes by ear.

Hope this helps.
Phil Lloyd