Re: [Harp-L] Charlie McCoy Concert

On May 24, 2007, at 12:14 PM, IcemanLE@xxxxxxx wrote:

It was a rare evening of entertainment. Charlie was reunited with many of
his old friends and back up players from when he used to tour under his own name

Under his own name? What other name(s) has he used?

around the US and commanded more respect.

I wasn't aware that he ever commanded anything BUT top respect.

As in other forms of career music,
the older traditional players are being replaced by new/younger hotshots in
recording situations and record company interest. So, it was quite a reunion
and a joy to see for this human aspect alone.

Naturally, this happiness spilled over to a very intimate and enjoyable
concert. Jazz from the 40's, old time gospel (w/4 part harmony), traditional
country tunes, many instrumentals and stellar musicianship was the entertainment
last night. Charlie is playing stronger than ever. It was fun watching how
Charlie, who is used to counting off his tunes faster than normal (because of
the mediocre ability of local drummers that he is saddled with for many gigs
who slow the tempo down during the tunes), keeping up with Bob Mater - 1st
class Nashville session drummer - who started the tunes at these accelerated
tempos and kept them there.

There was a drummer (Guy Remonko) backing me up in Cincinatti who is the best I ever heard. Better than Buddy Rich. We have a drummer down here (Trimbull McCullough) who makes Gene Krupa look like a cripple. I suppose these pick up drummers were from out of the way places where the talent is suspect.

I never heard Orange Blossom Special played so fast.

Would have liked to hear that. I always thought Mike Stevens was fastest and Eddie Gordon did the best version (from a showmanship standpoint). I always liked Charlie's version best (from a listening standpoint).

Charlie tours mostly in France, where he says the audience isn't driven by
any MTV music industry or "American Idol" or "young lion I can smoke anybody
flash in the pan" egotistic attitudes.

I found that to be true. They are the same with jazz. They just come to appreciate, without the 'Judging'. I don't believe in judging. Judging tends to suppose the players must be placed in positions on a verticle plane. I prefer to place people on a HORIZONTAL plane. I think it all goes back to catechism class when I would hear stuff like "And he shall sit in judgement of the living and the dead..etc, yada-yada, bip bip boop boop".

Whaaaaaaaat? Judge ME? No way Hose Ay.

He says they come to the concert with
open minds and show true depth and appreciation - more so than here in the US.

I hope he wasn't including me in that 'American' synopsis. I don't believe in Pigeonholing.

I told him it was parallel to the jazz expatriates in the '40's.

Like I said

He is recording and releasing a few new albums - a christmas album and one
focusing on jazz standards.

He already has a Christmas album, but I would be interested in the jazz album. Since I have long played jazz on diatonic, should be fun? lol

The only place to buy his recordings is on his
website - _www.charliemccoy.com_ (http://www.charliemccoy.com) .

McCoy is the ONLY person whom I will buy without first hearing the material. Over the years I have had a problem with albums containing 12 tunes and less than 3.6 (30%) were to my liking. Even the illustrious Stevie Wonder can't get past 5.4 (44.4%). Only 6 people have ever reached the 'magic' 8 (67%) figure. THEN there's :

Randy Singer @ 91.67%, and Charley McCoy ( 10 albums..averageing 87.5%. overall)

Smokey Joe & the Cafe s

The Iceman