Re: [Harp-L] Range

Walter Joyce wrote:
> I just completed buying a full set of diatonic harmonicas of all
> twelve keys in both registers available, thanks to the recent
> efforts by Seydel. so from low Ab through low Db I have the Sydel
> blues harp, then special 20s from low D through low F#, Golden
> Mels for low G through high F# and a special 20 for the high G.

Oh, don't stop yet!  Seydel makes a high Ab and a high A!  Both the
Session and the Favorit models at least.

> I'm a little disappointed I can only find sets with all 12 keys
> in the Lee Oskar brand.

Lee Oskar also sells a low F and a high G in standard tuning, I
believe.  These may not be available as part of a set, but should be
available separately.

> What I like to do now when I play is to grab both harps in the
> key I'm playing in and work between the two. I use a lot of
> octaves and tongue blocking (although I can't bend using TB yet).
> I like the variety of sounds I can get between the two, and will
> often use the higher octave harp in second position for soloing.

I do this a lot too.  It's nice to have the lower harp for
background, vamping, etc., and then the extra clarity to cut through
on the solo on the higher harp.  I do this a lot when playing the F
and G.

-tim