Subject: RE: [Harp-L] female chromatic players

Ken (Mojo Red) writes:

"I'm glad Michelle mentined Judy Smith. She's a very
talented  player.

Also, there's Susan Rosenberg, another fabulous
chromatic  player.

Harpin' in Coloardo,
--Ken M."

Actually, Ken...neither was left out ....Tim had quite early on already
mentioned Judy and Susan, and I'd included Susan. :)

There are numerous women chromatic players out there...witness so many of
them at the conventions we've both attended... gathered in the Lobbies  around
Marv and his guitar.  I'd warrant many Harmonica clubs have women  chromatic
players who either don't post on the internet or who just don't  realize the
online resources are here for them. I didn't.

In Asia I'd guess women might just equal the number of men playing
chromatics.  Harmonica playing is huge in China, for example.  We're  very narrow
minded in our American thinking that we're somehow the "center" of  the harmonica
world.
Here's a photo of a group of award winning students from the King's College
in Hong Kong....18 of the 29 students are women. though the photo is a  few
years old  ..  _Click here:  http://www.hkharmonica.org/khq/aphf00p3.jpg_
(http://www.hkharmonica.org/khq/aphf00p3.jpg)

The 5 piece chromatic ensemble The King's Harmonica Quintet, however,  are
all young men, each of whom play a different style of chromatic  harmonica, have
won many awards at the Asian Pacific conference....and  elsewhere, but their
website gives a very interesting overview of the history of  chromatic
harmonica playing in Hong Kong..."the people's instrument".   There is no fear of the
chromatic harmonica dying out any time soon as so  many people seem to fear
as long as young people such as these are taking it to  new levels and playing
international music   _Click here: King's Harmonica  Quintet_
(http://home.netvigator.com/~cblau/khq/)

On Hermine Deurloo's site there are some clips of her playing along with Al
Jarreau....very cool stuff.  Though I think her focus is mainly classical,  I
like her jazz/standards playing better, since that's my first love as  well.
But I still rather enjoy rocking out on my chroms too ;)

Elizabeth