Re: [Harp-L] Superstars in pop/rock music

On May 26, 2007, at 3:32 PM, Chris Michalek wrote:

let me explain this further...

A guy like Tony Levin is more than just a bassist, in fact technically there are 1000s of guys that can do way more than he can and Tony is the first to admit it. Tony is more like a producer/consultant than just a musician. Much of Peter Gabriel's music is based off of Tony's writing and style. Tony is not just a session guy, he's a guy that brings a sound and style to the music. And as a artist that is so incredibly respected when somebody mentions harmonica guys like him say "hey, I met this cat in Phoenix that really has something fresh going on. It's not like a regular harmonica and it's a differnt kind of sound that could really add to this project"

Time for me to chime in here. I suppose the harmonica player you are referring to from Phoenix is 'you'. Let me clear up a misunderstanding here. In case you think I am disparaging you in any way. you are completely and utterly wrong.
A... I consider you one of the most under rated (if not THE most), players on the scene today.
B... I would much prefer to listen to you than Howard Levy or many of the 'so called' stars of today.
C... I don't even have to like you to have the deepest respect for what you do (and CAN do).
D... You have never been stale, boring, ho-hum, tedious, tiresome, cliche, or painful to listen to.
E... I don't hear you using anything else from anyone else.
F... I am never amazed to be ceased by your delivery.
G... Fact is, I don't owe you anything, (nor you me), but painful as it may be for me to admit this, you SURE can play.

You say there are 1000s of guys who can do what Tony does. Well, that doesn't fit you. There isn't anyone who can do what you do IN the way you do it, so why would you hang your coat on people who are beneath your expertise. Go out there and show the world. Quit holding back. Time to make Chris Michalek a household name. Jesus, the last 3 harmonica 'stars' (sic) that have come along couldn't shine your shoes. ( and I ought to know, I was a shoe shine boy on the Staten Is. Fy.)

Already from that gig, I've been talking to Ronan Chris Murphy about other project... I'll let you guys google him.

Good, time to let these connections do something for YOU for a change. And, No, I'm not going to Google. I don't care about him, I only care about you. Quit doing these freebies.

Also from that gig, I'm working to record a new album where Pat Mastelotto will be the drummer. Pat is another extremely connected world traveling musician. Pat, like Levin is highly creative and acts more like a producer/consultant than just a drummer. They are always looking to ADD to the music and now that I have changed their opinion of what the harmonica can sound like my sound will forever be etched in their heads.

Good, it's about time.

At this point it's up to me to keep the doors open and move forward. With guys like Pat and Tony when they tell somebody about a harmonica player the producers listen and accept their advice without question.

Good, they can be your agent. lol

Do these guys know who Kim Wilson, Toots and Howard Levy are? Yes... but they ain't the ones listed in their cells phones under Harmonica.

Good, that's as it should be. Kim has been around long enough to make his bones, Toots needs to think about resting and taking it easy, and Howard?........well, He already HAS a name.

I learned a valuable lesson a few weeks ago, business cards don't mean shit. When I was asked for my number I handed them my card and was told "Keep it, truth is a I won't remember you name after tomorrow but I know when I need a harmonica player I'll get you" Then my cell number was entered into at least four personal cell phones under "harmonica". When I asked for their card nobody had them because they don't carry them. I've got their cell numbers though.

The music biz is all about WHO you know. Your phone number and reputation is KEY. And right now on the "elite-level of Music" there are two cats that get called before anybody else - Tollak Olstead and Gregorie Maret. The reason is they met the right people and they are not nuckleheads - NOT because they are the two of the best players on the planet.

I have heard them. Their connections and their chromo work is getting them the gigs.
smokey-joe

Look for my new album by the end of the year.

Peace.