Re: [Harp-L] Superstars in pop/rock music

this is were you're short sighted Joe.  Climbing the ladder is about connections.  I'm recording a CD next month where Pat Mastelotto will be my drummer, now I could have used Tony Levin for this project but since this is not totally MY project we've decided to keep the core together.  I've always played with monster bass players and guitarists but the drummer had been the week link this time around the drummer will be a strength because we've got a drummer who is considered by many to be a top 5 in the world drummer.

Having Tony on my CD doesn't do anything but guarantee that I will sell roughly 10,000 CDs. Using Mastelotto and my current guitartist will get me close to that level as both of them alone have exceeded 10,000 with every CD they've released.  The added expense of Tony Levin doesn't help.

However, since I did make an impression I still have his heart, mind and energy available to me. And since he's "buds" with my guitarist and Mastelotto there is extra incentive for him to help and he's already said as much.... Once this is recorded, I am guaranteed that SEVERAL major record companies will listen to this CD simply because Tony Levin and or Pat Mastelotto asked them to. We already been told that somebody will give us a deal and at least cover expenses and the initial printing of the CD. Why would somebody do that? It's about connections and respect and past history.

I don't have the energy nor the time to be road dawging so I'm taking this opportunity to leap frog the whole process and go straight to the studios. This can happen only because meeting people like Tony Levin and Pat Mastelotto have opened doors for me and the harmonica to a new level of music.

Now it's up to me and my talent and business acumen to do something with it. I don't know what will happen but I expect my sound will impact the people who are next on the ladder of music. I've worked hard to sound the way I do and I've been blessed to be one of the few to have a truly original voice and sound on the harmonica. When I get there I intend to open the flood gates for the rest of the players that deserve it ie; Jason Ricci

To offer contrast, my current bassist is a true sit in/studio pro kind of guy. And at one time he was considered in the upper echelon of electric bassist in the world. In fact Tony Levin knew who he was and was "honored to meet him". As with the first wave of OBs guys there was an initial wave of bass players that played like Jaco Pastorius, my guy was oft mentioned in tandem with Jaco and several times was offered gigs before Jaco. Skinny is on well over 3300 movie soundtracks and without saying more, many of you have a special place in your heart for his music.  He's played with giants like Stan Getz, Greg Allman, David Sanborn, George Benson, Sheila E. etc... yet Skinny doesn't have the power to "make things happen" not like Tony Levin.

Do you understand the difference Joe?