From: Vince Meghrouni <Foomcorp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Eric Garcia" <ericgar85@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Lynwood Slim
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 18:55:07 -0700

It's true that it's just words and like you say, it's not sticks and stones. My hackles were raised because I have a lot of respect for people like LS who have learned a tradition and produce a nuanced sound (not speaking just of tone here but all aspects of the playing) within it. I don't think you should sell Slim short to be brief about it. You might be surprised how hard he has worked at his craft. It may not have elements you perceive as being predominantly important, but I do believe you might cut him some slack for those elements which he plainly has worked on, and been successful at developing.

Some playing may deserve a negative connotation when it is disingenuous. I'd be careful in judging whose is and whose is not. I have learned in my many years to not justify myself by bagging on others. Sure, I still do it. But I see it as a false dichotomy. But that's me. You're young, you have the world ahead of you. You have a good sounding band, sound good on the harp (I saw the 'space page). I enjoyed it quite a bit, can dig it indeed. You certainly aren't looking for advice.

I myself work hard at my craft, too. I play sax, flute, drums, harp, sing. Have played with a lot of people, traveled the US and world in the service of it, recorded a fair patch. Within that I have not really played what would be called "commercial" music. I have drummed in punk rock (not the run-of-the-mill mannerist style, mind you) bands and art-freakout bands. I am involved in the free jazz scene, play bop, straight ahead, etc. I also play blues, and quite a bit of the punk-informed, rock-informed, "hairy", sort of approach that you guys use. I play harp in what I consider to be a very unique post-punk rock band that weaves elements of blues within it but is in no way traditionalist. I work on my sax and flute playing constantly, and do not restrict myself whatsoever to traditionalist approach in composition, performance or in the contexts I play within. So I'm not talking "from the other side", as some traditionalist, dixieland fan purist, lover of only old cars, luddite, etc.

Too much about me. I just say all that so you might be convinced that I do understand your point of view. But I've been in the trenches in "showbiz", and learned a lot of respect for people that have carved their way into it. And a lot of respect for people within traditions that hone something less off-the-beaten-path than I have chosen to go, but do it beautifully. Or even just do it with genuine feeling, as you have brought up. So I am hesitant to thrash them verbally in a public forum. I think we should honor those in our craft, those brothers and sisters who have toiled in the vineyards, too.
All? I guess not. I have my despised, certainly. I didn't even burn Kenny G. until I heard that version of the Louis Armstrong tune where he dubbed in his own solo. But he deserves the full public excoriation of all I do believe.

I have spoken too much. Of course you have a right to your opinion. Of course you are free to feel as you do. What do I know? Ultimately, not a whole lot. I'm preaching, and who the hell needs that. I mean no disrespect.

Rex "Rich" Tobago
Note-mangler
Clam generator
Consultant to the non-existent