Re: [Harp-L] Re: future harmonicas and all that

On May 27, 2007, at 7:46 AM, IcemanLE@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 5/26/2007 10:10:38 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, Foomcorp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Is the  harmonica more essential than the others?  Gee, I wouldn't say
that.  I don't think it's a valid question, anyway.  Was it part  of
the early development and therefore is inextricably woven into  it?
Yes indeed.  More essential?  Essential?   Less essential?  Don't
think it's a valid  question.

This is a good point.

Would you consider acoustic piano as essential to jazz
trio/quartet/quintets? Even though you will mostly find it included, Gerry Mulligan had a
"piano-less quartet" in his early days with Chet Baker. The very novelty of
"piano-less" made this a focal point - almost a publicity coup at the time. It is
still referred to as Gerry's Piano-less Quartet. The point is, Gerry heard in his
head a new sound that didn't include piano during an era when piano was
central to the jazz idiom.

Sonny Rollins went piano-less (sax bass drums) also. As did the later group (ahem) Bazooka on SST Records.

The artist is free to conjure whatever into reality through their imagination and force of will.

Jah.

The Iceman