Re: [Harp-L] Schunk Contest harmonica

The Book Harmonica Makers of Germany and Austria (Haeffner and
Lindenmueller, Trossingen, undated  - ca. 2005) lists a Johann Schunk
company active in the Klingenthal region from 1871 to 1960, The company
appears to have exported product to the U.S. between the 1920s and
1949, when the Iron Curtain descended. In 1960 the company was
nationalized and its building turned over to automotive electronics.

The one illustration of their product included is of a Wiener
construction instrument with semicircular cover tabs. It may be that
the "ears" tabs were a 1920s emulation of the tabs then used on the
Marine Band.

Winslow