Re: [Harp-L] Enough please!

On May 27, 2007, at 2:24 PM, Jeff roulier wrote:

At 04:15 PM 5/27/2007, you wrote:

I'm taking all this mystic stuff with a grain of salt myself, but
come on, Jeff.  You can't drop "I personally think Western philosophy
has afforded us the greater civilization advances than any mysticism
can, but that debate belongs on a different list," seriously.  If you
don't think the topic belongs on this list, you definitely should not
have weighed in on it, which you undeniably did.  It's completely
hypocritical.  What, you want the last word?

I guess you're correct here.

 Everybody was.  If you
don't think the discussion should be on the list, just say that, but
don't thrown in your comment and complain about others who are
essentially doing the same thing.

What is "western philosophy", by the way?  Fascism?  Free love?
Scientology?  Pretty broad little term there, homes.

Now who's trying to get the last word?

Well, the thing is, old boy, I'm not the one trying to end the discussion - you are. So for me it's not the last word. Your initial message was, basically: "This discussion doesn't belong here, so lets cut it out - but here's what I have to say about it". So you wanted to shut it down, or distance yourself from it, at the same time participating. Me, hey, I'm not trying to shut it down, therefore anything I say is not trying to get the last word.

All I meant by that statement was that Western philosophy from Aristotle and on has set the ground work for all the science we have today. The cure for polio, TB, and hundreds of other things has come from the ground work that western philosophy provides. Even the harp you play

Sure, same thing can be said for nuclear weapons, global warming, the gas chambers, manufactured anthrax.

P.S. " Fascism? Free love?
Scientology? comes from mysticism, not any form of rational western philosophies

You can't pick and choose the good things, old boy, and leave behind the bad things and claim they are from other lineage. Western mysticism is the mystic branch of any western philosophy there might be. The eugenics that drove Nazi race theory was started here by western scientists. You can't choose the good and claim it if you're not willing to admit the bad as well. So who's your western philosopher, anyway? Schoppenhauer? Tell you what - you take him, I'll take Bertrand Russell. Nah, I think your definition of "western philosophy" is "all the cool things I can name produced arguably by 'the west'".

The debate over philosophy ends here. I won't reply to any more post if it only about philosophy.

I don't believe that there is any unified western philosophy any more than there is a unified eastern philosophy. And even if there was such a thing, the idea that one must choose one over the other is absurd to me. And the idea that, for the sake of argument that there were such things as unified western and eastern philosophies, that there wouldn't be cross pollination, or at least plenty of room for it, and that the cross pollination would not be fruitful, is absurd. Once again, you want the last word. You make a bunch of statements, then say "the debate over philosophy ends here".

Oh, and to keep this relevant to the list, what chrome polish is best to keep my pocket pal shiny?

Rex "to hell with Hegel" "Rich" Tobago