Re: [Harp-L] Re: Superstars in pop/rock music

On May 27, 2007, at 6:51 PM, shockley wrote:

Joe Leone wrote:
Lou Reed? I'm entitled to an opinion, right? I don't see how he manages to
feed himself.

I never thought much about Lou Reed either way up until a few years ago when
i started getting into drugs a bit and hanging with a lot of drug people.

I couldn't DO that. When I left home at 17 3/4 because my parents wouldn't let me get a driver's license, I was a hobo and didn't have the money. I pushed hod, chipped brick, even picked cotton. Then I went into the navy (seebees), became a salvage diver and drugs (combined with the pressure) would have killed me. Then I worked construction and while I would have LIKED to experiment with drugs, I was too chicken, yellow, cowardly, whatever. That and I have absolutely NO will power and would have wound up a crack-w***e.

I once tried some Hashish and lost 2 days out of my life. Very very scarey for someone like me (a control freak).
Then I became a state trooper (don't hold that against me...it was only a job) and (ironically) my lack of a drug associated past actually made me eligible, (imagine that), Along with a great civil service score

Then around that time, coincidentally, a friend sent me, out of
the blue, a Lou Reed CD with Waiting For The Man and Heroin on it.

Yeah, I find tunes like 'Heroin' and 'Cocaine' to be quite interesting. I always thought 'Put a 41 mag in my Mouth' would be a good song title. My friend Mike did that once..................once.

I was pretty much hooked, but then, again by accident, I came across a DVD on Ebay
from the PBS American Masters series, a documentary on Lou Reed called Rock
n Roll Heart. That was it. Next two years nothing sounded like anything if
it wasn't Lou Reed.

Actually, there were a few things Lou did that I kinda liked. As to whether I would PAY him to sing, I don't know about that. I thought Boz Skaggs was ok, but I was never enamored with any of the acts from the Bay Area. I guess I was paying too much attention to the Jazz Messengers, Young-Holt Trio, Horace Silver, Clark Terry.

Although I DID like the "Gratia Morte".

He!!, I didn't much care for the musicians from the west coast either. Jerry Mulligan, Chet Baker.

Not even Dire Straits. No color. No feeling. Pale.  I
probably watched that DVD a couple hundred times.

Dire Straits I like.

"She wants me to hit her with a stick But all I got's a guitar pick"

See, hitting girls with a stick is not my bag.

"When I see you come Baby I just wanna run Far away"

Now THIS is closer to my life. Females and I have always been Sodium and Water.

Some subtle hardly noticable chord changes in a studio version of Rock n
Roll that used to make me do summersaults. I can't even hear them anymore.

An amazing jazz thing on the DVD with the coolest drums and sax, Lou doing a
cigarette romance between lyrics. Middle Class white boy meets mean streets
fascination. Romance. Art.

Or delerium. lol

Before I ever knew I liked Lou Reed my favorite guitar solo was from a live
Sweet Jane version.

Whereas I like Django Rheinhardt, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Wes Montgomery, Los Indios Tabaljares.

One of the hookiest lines living in my head was

"There's nothing happening at all
Not at all"

God, I wish I had been you. MY head is like an overstuffed burrito. Stuff goes in and never comes out. I will probably die of a brain tumor from all the garbage I have stored in there and can't get rid of.

Lou Reed. The coolest, most relaxed voice I think I know. The raspiest. Has
to be on anyone's raspy top 10. Definitely my top 3, and to be honest, I
would have to pick him.

Electroshock treatment at 17 (Lou)

Oh boy, sounds really peachey

How can you not like Walk on the Wild Side (other than for the reason you've
heard it too many times)? doo da doo, da doo...

I do a tune with a similar name. It's called 'TAKE a Walk on The Wild Side'. My version was popularized by Jimmy Smith on B3 Hammond. Tough to do at a convention as it needs about 10 pieces to even remotely do it justice. That and a B3 player with hands that actually work..

Rhetorically speaking of course.
Some things are just not going to appeal to some people.

Gee, I'm so sorry. How can I make it up to you? :) smokey-joe

I love Lou.

I'm up with that. :)

Shockley