[Harp-L] Re: Little Walter's influences

Philharpn@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Most of those who follow Little Walter think Little Walter
> invented all these
> riffs, when in truth he just transferred horn riffs to the
> harp. That's
> because fans of Little Walter only study Little Walter, never
> his influences, jump
> bands, swing bands.

I believe most blues harp players know that Little Walter was influenced by the saxophone. That is what made his tone and phrasing so unique for the harp in the 1950s. Bear in mind that this inspiration lead to some awesome recordings with Muddy Waters and as a frontman. Would be interesting to hear an example of an original horn riff which was just transferred to harp and on which LW tune it appears. Juke? Blues With A Feeling? Break It Up? Something else?

Harri