RE: [Harp-L] Never Call Out Stevie Wonder at a Blues Jam

What a great story, I sure love those jam train-wreck stories because
they make me feel so not alone in the world. I have a million of them by
now.

I usually play in the 'beginner' section where there are a few helpful
and nurturing 'real' musicians to help folks like me, who make sure to
stick to blues with the I-IV-V and clearly call out the key of the song
beforehand (gee, that's helpful). Then sometimes one of my buddies like
the US Rick Smith will kick me up there with the more experienced
hot-shots so I can 'learn' in a more dynamic and realistic environment
where you can't always count on getting the key and the song may not
have the standard chord progressions.

Last time I played first set and our one jerry garcia type folkie dude
member called 4 songs that weren't blues but some mix of
folk/rock/whatever - stuff I never heard before and was completely lost
on how to play to. Train wreck after train wreck. Guess he 'forgot' it's
a blues jam (a problem we have sometimes like the one guy who came out a
few weeks straight and played hot-rod chuck berry songs because that's
all he know on the guitar - he just turned his ball cap backward and
wailed away until they gently reminded him after two weeks that he had
to learn some blues songs or at least more than two songs - he hasn't
been back but I hope he's in the 'shed working on it).

I digress. So yeah, sometimes you have to have those trainwrecks, it's
the only time you learn, really. We have some folks who get pissed when
things go wrong and 'forget' that IT'S JUST A JAM - NOT A PERFORMANCE
and the audience never seems to mind, they're getting drunk and having
fun. Keep on keepin' on.

Bill Hines
Hershey, PA