[Harp-L] Re: music and perception / Rick Epping's Take

excerpt .

Rick Epping sez :

" After a few episodes back in the 1970s of awakening from sleep hearing music in my head that was particularly loud and clear, I had the notion that it was not all simply occurring in my mind, but was being physically generated in my ears as well. Just as a microphone can function as a loudspeaker (and vice versa: an ear bud headphone jacked into a tuner's mic input makes a pretty good contact mic for tuning reedplates), I reasoned that a musical impulse beginning in the brain can travel down the auditory nerves to stimulate the cochlea's cilia and onward, driving the middle ear bones to vibrate the eardrum and create an audible sound. For years I was convinced that small microphones inserted into my ears might be able to record this "mind music". Regrettably (or perhaps thankfully!) such episodes of intense
mind music were for me mostly spontaneous and few and far between. The few times I actually stuck a microphone in my ear I was nowhere near the state of mind required for coming up with the tunes.

However, a few years ago I heard that researchers have done just this: very sensitive microphones inserted into subjects' ears were able to record sounds generated by the eardrum. I've developed the theory

Rick Epping "

Huricane sez :

Funny how well you put that Rick , I have believed this since I was a kid :)

Once I asked my mom if she could hear the music I was making in my head , I asked her to put her head up against my temple and check , she thought I was a little strange heh heh I was about 6 or seven I suppose , SHE TOLD ME TO :

" STOP BOTHERING " lol

- - WORD - -

on perceptions here lately in " de forum ".

Ya got yer Died In Wool Dylan fans who think Bob's style is to top of it all .

Yer takers and leavers of John Popper

The old school mind set of classic proponets  of Sonny Terrys ,  Sonny Boys , Walter , Cotton  , McCoy and their detractors .

The new young guns like Jason Ricci ( and others I don't recall the names of sorry ) are duly respected here mostly I think over all .

Won't even go into Butterfield ..........

" Perception "

is

Reality

as I was once explained to me by a much older and wiser person .

We seem to have sooooooooooo much emotional response on this topic that would be best spent playing your axe than spend the enormous amouts of point , counter point remarks ,

- - But - -

I guess every one needs their 15 minutes of being famous somewhere since it's all too apparent that most never get thier

" Fame Yaa Yaas "

out in the open for all to see and be recognized :)

Conclusion :

Everyone's right in their own perception because the live in their own little microconism(s) .

Steve Still put it quite eloquently :

" Nobody's right if everybody's wrong ".

I have seen loads of water flow on these and similar subject matter here in the forum every time I see it rear it's

 " personal preception " head

....and begin these wild @$$ threads begin ...... ,

Me ?

I crack up big time on some comments and then one like Rick Epping's gem come along and then I feel better in my preception  of this forum's reality is on the " upswing " AGAIN LOL !!!!!

I wonder what the " newbies " think about some of these threads and  go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ?

I wonder what the intermediate players in the forum think about the wild stuff written here by some of the more prominant simi pro's posts .

I do think I can preceive what seasoned wood is thinking when they come across some of these threads written by those who while being sincere are really

" Way out there " heh heh ,

- -  But  - -

In reality , the wild , funny , and not so smart stuff popping up here really contrasts the Meat and not the potatoes , so I guess even the far fetched is acceptable to justfy the goods layed down by Rick Epping & other " seasoned wood  " players .

I love this forum , even it's ugly step children :)

Sincerely :

Hurricane Ramon

Aka :

Party_Man1@xxxxxxxxxx