Re: [Harp-L] What are the simplest and best diatonic practicestrategies/meth...

Larry writes:
I like to take a scale and add on one additional scale degree to the end -
playing up and down, without stopping at the "top" or repeating the "topmost"
note. This changes the scale from a SCALE to a series of melodic tones that
form a line.

For instance - Do, Re, Mi, Fa, Sol, La, Ti, Do, Re, Do, Ti, La, Sol, Fa, Mi,
Re, Do.

By not thinking of the melodic line as a SCALE, more music is allowed to
flow through the series of notes - simply a choice of these particular notes.

This is great advice. I always encourage this method for 7 note (major, modes, etc.) scales.
Going up to the 9th(2nd) degree of the scale and then back down, keeps things musical. It makes a 17 note scale. In 4/4 time this always ends you back on the tonic/home note of the scale on a down beat. Much more musical.

Anybody going to SPAH? Hit me up on this concept and others when you see me.

Michael Peloquin
http://www.harpsax.com
Come check me out on MySpace at http://www.myspace.com/harpsax

Make every IM count. Download Messenger and join the i?m Initiative now. It?s free. http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGHM_MAY07