[Harp-L] RE: Never Call Out Stevie Wonder at a Blues Jam

Adding insult to injury, I was thinking about the jam this morning and realized that I actually picked up the wrong harp.  So, I was playing in E on a G harp when the song was in Ab.  YUCK!

Regarding jams in general, I treat them as fun experiences and don't take my mistakes too seriously, but I also consider the audience and try to always make the music enjoyable for everyone.  So that's why I was upset last night when the song went so poorly.  It's not just that it didn't go like I wanted -- it sounded BAD.  There have been many times when songs went in unexpected directions but sounded great, and I always enjoy those situations.

As for playing non-blues songs at a blues jam -- most of what you said is true.  However, this blues jam I play at has a few people who call out non-blues songs, and they usually go over very well.  On Sunday night, one group played almost all funk songs for their half hour.  Sometimes we have people with acoustic guitars who call out folky originals.  Just half an hour before I played last night, a guitarist called out "Johnny B. Goode" and didn't even know most of the words, but it sounded great otherwise and the audience had fun.  As long as the song goes well and sounds good, I don't think anyone minds.  It's when there aren't clear instructions or the song is just too complicated that we have a train wreck like mine.

For reference, the other songs I call out at this jam include "One Way Out", "Turn On Your Love Light", and "House of the Rising Sun".  So I feel confident that I'm not "that guy" who shows up at the blues jam and refuses to play the blues.  I just want to stretch out every now and then.

Jonathan Metts