Re: [Harp-L] Playing Country

Mike, the main difference I have found is hole 5 draw, if you are playing cross harp. That note is sharp if you need a major scale in second position. :You should be able to get around that quite easily with your overblowing skills.  I also lean on the bottom of the harp a lot in country and find that bending 3 draw down a full step is a nice sound. By that I mean sliding the note from unbent to bent one step.
Also, you should buy the two CDs that Jelly Roll Johnson has out. There is one with Nashville songrwriter Fred Knobloch recorded live that is terrific and another title Jelly Roll Johnson and a few close friends. Both are excellent examples of harp with country-styled music. Jelly Roll does use lots of different positions and is the most tasteful harp player around, in my opinion.
As well as you play blues, you'll have little trouble in picking up whatever you need in country.
Steve Webb
fellow Minnesotan