[Harp-L] Queens Of The Stone Age & I Did A Jam

Hurricane sez :

Two nights ago I had a rather fine and gratifying time playing with some people who I had the honor of sharing the stage with during a PBS show in Los Angeles two years ago .

The main man musician I was backing at this show was/is Chan Romero ( Mr. Hippy Hippy Shake himself :)

, with him on stage  was his son Chandler Romero on drums , and then my cousin Richard playing the PBass , and then one other fellow , a guy who I met during the rehearsals for that show with Chan .

Chan showed he really liked him  so any friend of Chan's .... So on went the sessions and we get along well and are prepared and show it during the show . Chan gave this guy the nick name :

 " Big Bird "

because he's really tall ( 6'5" ) and it stuck through out our time together ........and time marches on .......

Two years have passed by and during those two years I watch TV music videos a lot with my son ( he's 22 ) and get a really good eye for what's up on the music scene outside of Jazz / Blues and stuff , and during this time period of two years I keep seeing from time to time what appears to be " Big Bird  " playing his guitar and singing in some of these videos I watch with my son and I say so to my son who say's :

 " No way , that's the band called :

{ The Queens Of The Stone Age }  "

I kept saying " well he sure looks like him to me " .

A week ago Chan called me from Billings Montana to inform he was inducted to the :

Rock-A-Billy Hall Of Fame

In Green Bay Wisconsin .

He states that he will return to the area ( Palm Springs southern California ) and we will hook up soon and mentions that Chandler his son  was asking about me and that Big Bird was too . I in turn ask if Big Bird is the leader of The Queens Of The Stone Age , he says I think so and gives me the telephone number of his son Chandler and I make the call .

At Chandlers house I meet with Big Bird who's name is really :

 " Josh Homme "

and a really nice person .

We jam and play and had a blast and re establish contact for future projects :)

The bass player was hot , he toured recently with Dick Dale :

( King Of The Surfer Guitar )

and he's hip to do some work with me , I am happy :)

Some of the songs we nailed ( and I mean nailed hard core good ) were Pink Floyd's " The Wall " and a other song of David Gillmore's ( forgot the name sorry ) that was hard core Blues and then one really hot arrangement of Billy Joel's " You Might Be Right I May Be Crazy " and a few more tunes that rocked and rolled really well for us .

The harp I playerd and ripped on :

............. Drum Roll ......................

{ Huang Star Performer } .... they still kick serious @$$ ! .

Plugged into a Shure 520D bullet microphone and then hooked up to my Carvin 60 watt tube amp with a tad of wetness form the Carvin reverb , simple and strong .

It's funny how a hard core old school type of harp man like me  can connect solidly with Josh from The Queens Of The Stone Age  and will continue to collaborate as well now on some ideas . When we first met and then after the performance in Burbank southern California  for the PBS show with Chan he was always saying :

" We got to record "

and I said :

" Sure why not " ( not realizing who he was then at the time :)

and he said ,

" but you have to let me sing on some of the songs "

Again I said :

" sure why not "

and left it at that till two nights ago heh heh heh .

Josh is a funny guy who makes a practice session a fun thing , something I look for always in a musician who I plan to perform with live on a stage with 100 to 1000s of people watching and listening or in a garage with family and friends .

I have recorded / jammed / or just rocked out with all kinds of genres of music from Hall Of Famers from Country Western To Jazz / Blues / Rock & Rock-A-Billy ,

- - - but - - -

This is the first time with a high calibre modern MTV successful type Punk band for me and it just proves how strong The Blues really is .

Last Sunday a week ago I did a session with some not so famous Punk rockers and it was a blast , I was well received and had a good time with them as they with me , only this session I played no Harp only Electric Guitar so that's why I have not mentioned it here till now because it ties to the thread of me and Punk rockers and such to the harp via my session with Big Bird Josh Homme . Atr this session one of the best of the young gun rockers came up to me aqnd asked :

What were you playing ? It was hot . I responded ( after thinking just how much better this young guitarist was than I ) :

" I was playing basically Blues licks and hooks "

Kid shocked me when he responded :

" Wow your way better than me  "

Any Gang Of Gusty Wind Wankers .......with that ......Peace Out !

Sincerely :

Hurricane Ramon

Aka :

Party_Man1@xxxxxxxxxx