Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Changing the Way You Hold the Harp (long)

Bill:  Welcome...(out of lurking mode) ;)

I absolutely cannot feel comfortable holding a diatonic with my  left hand
cupping with my right, yet I'm right handed.  It's far more  comfortable and
feels "right" to hold with my right...between forefinger and  thumb..makes it
awkward since I'm still in the learning stages as far as  diatonics are
concerned...and no one quite knows how to work around it for  me...

...but then I answer and listen to a phone with my right ear (supposedly
something only lefties do)..among other "lefty" traits. Perhaps was supposed to
be lefthanded but forced into writing right-handed as a wee girl in school in
Scotland.  No one brooks those teachers' orders ;)

Chromatics are different. I mostly play 16's...and do use the left hand for
vibrato..but find I'll also tend to try to hand vibrate it with my
right...depending on the particular song.   Of course I'm not cupping  such a big
chrom...

On a CX-12 (my latest fun machine)...it feels comfortable to hold it just
lightly with my left hand (for bracing)...my right is doing most of the
work..both with the slide and for any "effects"...

Yet I'm not ambidextrous...definitely much more able with my right  hand..for
keyboard playing, typing and the like.

In the long run, I suppose it doesn't really matter all that much, as long
as one is getting music out of the "mouth organ".  Of course some people  can
do it a lot better than others, so maybe playing it properly gives them an
edge, and that's why I'm not so good on a diatonic...

I'm curious if anyone ever did a study as to whether or not people who were
dyslexic played the harmonica upside down?  ....

Elizabeth

"Message: 6