Re: [Harp-L] Mexican Revolution, now U.S. Civl war harps

Winslow,

That's good stuff about Hohner and Mexico. You mentioned that Hohner wasn't really selling harps in the U.S. before 1868. Do you know who was? I wonder where all our Civil War harps came from.
The harmonicas I've seen that have been dug from Civil War sites, are basically just a rusty reedplate and some reeds, maybe nails if you're lucky, all else has deteriorated to nothing over the years. I'd really learn more about them, I'm trying to get an idea what these looked like for a little project of mine, but I can't find any info or patents dating back that far. Do you know when the coverplate was introduced?

Dave Payne Sr.
Elk River Harmonicas
www.elkriverharmonicas.com