Re: [Harp-L] Jazz/diatonic/positions

Phil Eich wrote:
For you guys playing jazz on diatonics...are you
thinking the pitches of the different scales or the
scale degrees? (Is this where things like
10th/11th/etc. positions come in?)
Phil,

I use valved diatonics, so I play a lot in 2nd position. I also like 10th position (e flat on a c harp) and 5th (e on a c harp) for some minor key things. I also use 1st position occasionally. What I really like is that I don't have to transpose like most players. I can just pick a different harp. I have taught myself to read intervals instead of notes when I have a chart, and I mostly think intervals on the harp.

When I practice, I mostly practice scales in 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th and 10th positions. But when it comes right down to it, I like 2nd position best. I mostly practice major, myxolydian, h-minor, m-minor, and diminished scales in each of those positions, plus scales that may be peculiar to any tunes I am trying to learn.

I rarely use overblow/overdraw, so I can't really tell you what my preferences are for that.

-LM