RE: [Harp-L] Anyone taken Harp lessons by phone or webcam?

"I see people advertising phone lessons and such here and there, and was
wondering if anyone had any experience with them?"

I know a few folks like Dennis Gruenling do this. I haven't tried it but
it should be a pretty effective thing as long as you have a high speed
broadband Internet connection (cable, DSL, fiber), and a good quality
webcam and mic on your PC. I use Skype (free) all the time for web cam
to have video chats with the family when I'm traveling to countries
where my cell phone doesn't work. Also for normal voice (non-video) and
instant messaging chats over the internet.

Then there's phone lessons, Jon Gindick does a great job with these, but
somehow I just don't trust the quality of most phone lines to pick up
the subtle nuances of playing for lessons. Jon doesn't like speakerphone
so it can be tough to juggle the receiver and play! I only had one short
phone lesson before attending his jam camp years ago. Jon was amazing at
this though.

I'm interested in replies as well. Maybe some of the instructors can
give you direct references if you don't get answers here.

But don't forget also, there is tons of excellent quality book, cd, dvd
material from folks like David Barrett, Jon Gindick, Jerry Portnoy and
others that will challenge you for years. Not to mention the great stuff
on youtube.com from Adam Gussow, Jason Ricci, Ronnie Shellist, and
others. Free!

Bill Hines
Hershey, PA