Re: [Harp-L] re: Les feuilles mortes -- playing correctly

I agree that not doing it because you "can't" is lame from a musical
standpoint and doesn't help with the public perception of the
harmonica. (Although it can be fascinating to hear how players of the
diatonic accordion and the 9-note Scottish and Northumbrian bagpipes
sometimes both simplify and compress melodies to fit their instruments.
A tune can be very changed and yet remain recognizable.)

At the same time, it often does make musical sense to get rid of
unimportant and fussy details and focus on what is really important in
a tune, and the greatest interpreters seem to have a wonderful sense
for this. Louis Armstrong was known for taking good tunes and making
them great by simplifying and thereby strengthening the melodies. This
is completely aside from his gifts as an improviser. The great
embellisher was also a great de-embellisher.

This sort-of-middle ground between delivering the melody as written and
either totally it dumbing down or running off into improvisation is a
good area of study for anyone who wants to be a convincing interpreter
of melodies.

Winslow

Make Yahoo! your homepage.
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs