[Harp-L] Re: The Perfect Fusion of Chromatic & Diatonic Harmonica

 It was easier to hold and operate, but required co-ordination between hand
movement and breath articulation that many diatonic players don't want (look
at the limited success of the Bahnson Overblow harp).
The slide seems to be useful when you're trying to make a hybrid,
but they don't worth the effort when you're trying to play diatonic
harmonicas chromatically.
I think that the "third reed" idea is the best choice at this case.

The rear slider is an attractive format from various perspectives, as you
> say. There was already a chromatic made with no slide at the front,
> chambers in the coverplates and an air shifter (sprung rocker plate) at the
> back, called the Machino Tone. It was made in Japan in the 50's but is now
> unavailable.

This harmonica is airtight and strong, but it
feels unnatural to the hand anatomy. I think it's one of the causes of its
commercial failture.

I'd say the best idea is simply to make a prototype of your concept and see
> how it works. But be warned: in my experience things are never quite as
> simple as they appear on paper when you try to put an experimental harmonica
> idea into physical form! So many tiny details can affect performance.

I'll try to make a one-hole wood prototype and see how it works. The results
can be quite surprising.

Thank you,
Ruan C. Rodrigues