Re: [Harp-L] Zoom H-4

I have had an H4 for about 3 months. I've done some recording of my band which is really loud & I recorded a bunch of stuff at Rockers in the Rockies. I've had real good luck with everything. I am amazed at the quality of some of the recordings & at the ease of use. I still have a lot to learn though. I would also like to hear from someone who has had a lot of experience with it.
thanks

Mudharp@xxxxxxx wrote:
Gary Calahan wrote: <<I was wondering if anyone could e-mail off list their experience with
the Zoom H-4. I have some questions that I can't seem to get out of
the "manual". I simply don't want to take up bandwidth!>>

Ask your questions Gary. Let's take up some bandwidth. I think there's sufficient interest on the list. I recently got a decent deal on an H4 and have been experimenting with recording my home practice sessions (solo), and band practices in our rehearsal space. Two totally different experiences as you might imagine. I'm a total novice at this animal and so far my recordings have been strictly mp3, directly into the built in microphones so I've barely scratched the surface. My results have been mixed. Solo home stuff is for the most part easy to record and play back and/or upload to your computer. I've done both acoustic, directly into the mouth of the beast from about 12" away, and amplified from about 2-3' away from the speak
ers (I'm talking low volume here since I don't want to have to sleep in the garage). Both give me accurate, clean and full sounding results that I'm pleased with. I plan on doing some two piece acoustic recording in the near future.
I've found that amplified band recordings require more experimentation and patience. My results so far have been good, not great -- but with further experimentation and familiarity that should improve. Placement and volume with respect to room size are key. The mini (teensy weensy) controls leave something to be desired but it's a small unit so I guess that's life. The display read out is also very small and without my x-ray specs on I'm s.o.l. Other than that I'm happy with the H4 and plan on getting a lot of use out of it. It would be great to hear what others have experienced in the last couple of months since this subject first came up on harp-l. t. albanese

**************************************Check out AOL's list of 2007's hottest products.