[Harp-L] best elements of music parties

I'm thinking about hosting a "musician's jam" party at a local community center. My goal is to have the most relaxed and comfortable atmosphere possible, and I'm curious about peoples' experiences- what was your favorite music party and what made it so good?
So far, I know I want a good PA, with ample monitors and mikes, and a drum set to share.
Two friends host a party every year, and their two car garage is opened up and FILLED with musicians. Some elements- our hosts are very welcoming, high level of musicianship, variety and quality of tunes and styles, mutual respect, mini sets, no grandstanding, reasonable limits- on volume, alcohol, etc. Also a good spirit of fun, a good number of enthusiastic non-musicians, good eats. Some things aren't quantifiable I guess...