[Harp-L] best elements of music parties

John,

Llike  many on this list I've been involved extensively in putting together jams, music parties, etc.

A key first issue is purpose.  The best music/musicians?   A chance for amateurs to play with pros?  Creating an open jam situation where anything goes?  Having a party called a jam where you get musicians to play for free so others can enjoy the music?

In any case, create an environment where the artists anticipate having fun, and with preparation and flexibility it will come true with great satisfaction for all.  Use humor, a sense that anything is possible, good gear and refreshments.  A costume element helps, we often do funny hats, it adds an air of levity.

And keep your purpose in mind.  E.g., Elmtree Blues Society jams are explicitly aimed at combining pros with newbies.  The quality of music is often very high, but not the first goal.   We try to make it accessible for tyros who treasure the chance to play with very good players, and thus to encourage new players, young and old, to play real blues for fun and personal satisfaction, to advance and treasure the form.

That's how we measure success under the Elmtree, nurturing new players and having fun playing gutbucket blues.  We do use top quality gear, often have top-name players join us, and all have fun playin' gutbucket blues til the sun goes down.

Now, sometimes it gets loud, but  I have a weak pa, and can insist that the quietest instrument must still be heard, that can keep a lid on loudness.  And I try things like hiding the sticks and only leave brushes available for the drummer.

Thus having good, but not powerful gear, will serve the space, and no more.  Things do get pushed to the limit.

Sometimes we even do a strict acoustic thing, amping only bass and lap steel.  And either way we usually have a 3-guitar limit.  At times we've had more than 30 players attending, we will sometimes do two "Stages", one indoors, one out.

  Usually an Elmtree jam is from like 2pm to sundown, thus plenty of time for people to play, listen, hang out, play some more, etc.

Of course, there is always the peril of players who play too loud or on every song.  I recommend intro with an announcement about sharing, 3 songs (+/-) and down, no need for all to play leads on each song (puh-leeze!), weaving, comping, and laying back, etc. Then an occasional  gentle jocular nudge to the inadvertent hog to take a break.

And let the good times roll!

-Dave Fertig

 From:"John F. Sweeney" <valcoguy@xxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [Harp-L] best elements of music parties Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 22:59:41 -0500 To:"Harp List" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>                Plain Text Attachment     [  Scan and Save to Computer      ]

I'm thinking about hosting a "musician's jam" party at a local
community center. My goal is to have the most relaxed and comfortable
atmosphere possible, and I'm curious about peoples' experiences- what
was your favorite music party and what made it so good?
So far, I know I want a good PA, with ample monitors and mikes, and a
drum set to share.
Two friends host a party every year, and their two car garage is
opened up and FILLED with musicians. Some elements- our hosts are
very welcoming, high level of musicianship, variety and quality of
tunes and styles, mutual respect, mini sets, no grandstanding,
reasonable limits- on volume, alcohol, etc. Also a good spirit of
fun, a good number of enthusiastic non-musicians, good eats. Some
things aren't quantifiable I guess...