Re: Subject: RE: [Harp-L] The Perfect Fusion of Chromatic & Diatonic Harmonicas

Ian:

I can't speak for others, and it certainly isn't the least expensive ($130
each for the 3 chromatics I just purchased from Doc at Harp Depot at the  GSHC
Convention in New Jersey)...but the CX-12 comes in different keys, is very
easily dismantled (4 steps)...despite my TMJ issues and being a lip blocker (so
called pucker player)...I've quite fallen in love with this chromatic. It
has amazing tone and is just pure fun to play.

At SPAH 2007 in Milwaukee, Jason Ricci took my CX-12 in C (the only  one I
owned at the time), played it ...and was immediately crazy about it.   My
impression from him and other diatonic players I've spoken to, is that it  seems to
be the right 'kind' of chromatic for diatonic players.  It seems  to 'fit'
their idea of what a chromatic should be.  The sound is  right....the feel is
right.  Even when I saw Jason the next time  during a break at his show at Terra
Blues in NYC, he took it again and played it  "chipping"  a la Stevie
Wonder...(he is a lot more talented a harmonicist  than people realize) ;)   the short
throw of the button...the  especially wide and fat button, the fact that the
slide consists of only one  piece...it can be disassembled with one's hands
with no tools whatsoever (and  the shell run under the tap to clean...

....all seem to lend itself to what a diatonically oriented player would
like as a transition instrument.  It's also all black and 'cool'.   ;)

I still consider myself a Super 64 player...it's my first "axe" of
choice...but I hardly played mine at this GSHC...sticking mostly to the CX-12  and
having a great deal of fun doing so.

Since I've been home, I've played my newly purchased Bb, A and  F CX-12's
along with my Smooth Jazz CD's and been having a great  time.

One can find them for less money on EBay and advertised for sale, second
hand...but usually only in the key of C.  My original purchase was in the  $70
range.  A steal, as far as I'm concerned.

Hope I haven't confused you further.

Elizabeth

products.