Re: [Harp-L] My Stevie stories

Robert Bonfiglio wrote:
So the reason that Stevie is so hard to copy is that he, like Howard
Levy, is the consummate musician.  Both can play a variety of
instruments at virtuosic levels.

The great session drummer Larrie Londin, who worked in Nashville when I knew him, told me that he had been one of the Motown drummers early on. He said he became aware of Stevie because when he was 10 he had the run of the studio, and he'd go around asking each of the players to show him things on their instruments between takes.

A year later Stevie was the utility man on Motown sessions, playing every instrument beautifully. Whatever was needed Stevie could play it - whoever didn't show up, Stevie could fill in.

"12 Year Old Genius" was apparently not just a marketing term.