Subject: [Harp-L] The "Perfect" Fusion of Chromatic and Diatonic?

Hi Bob:

I know nothing about circular breathing and special tunings, but do have to
add something to your mention of "Someone to Watch Over Me" and Seydel
chromatics.

 First ..that was one of my 'debut' songs, played my first time  in public at
SPAH, 2006, chosen at the very last second...it plays easily on any
chromatic  (C, Bb, beginning on 3 blow with no slide action required)   which made it
that much easier for me to deal with my paralyzing stage fright  ;)...

...and I do still very much love my Bb Seydel Deluxe 48 stock chromatic
bought from Rupert at Buckeye, 2007.  It has a lovely clear tone (I've  described
it before as being the only Bb chrom I've found to sound consistently  similar
to my Super 64 in it's bell-like tone).  I can easily switch from  one to the
other without a noticeable difference in brightness of sound...cost  only
$89. at Buckeye.  Rupert is one of the nicest people to deal  with.

So I'm not sure if it's the "Circular" tuning enabling you to play that
particular song...unless you're starting on a different key?  So would  appreciate
your letting me know just how YOU play that song.

Regards,
Elizabeth

"Message: 3
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 03:24:22 -0500
From: Robert Coble  <robertpcoble@xxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

I have a bias toward the Seydel Circular  Tuning. I currently play the
Blues Session
Circular Tuning diatonics, and  have a complete set of all 12 keys. (I
haven't tried
the low tunings  yet.) I love these harps, because there are NO missing
notes in  the
diatonic scale for over two octaves, AND I can get 3-note (at least)
chords on EVERY
scale degree for over two octaves. Bending is limited to  halftone draw
bends ONLY;
there are NO blow bends. Overblowing for full  chromaticism is
supported, but I don't
use it (so far). The lower octave  allows nice bends for the b3, b5, b7
blues notes.

I just got a Seydel  Chromatic Deluxe specially designed at the factory
with Circular
Tuning.  I wanted a chromatic with the EXACT same note and breathing
patterns  as
my diatonics. It cost $136.00 (which included shipping to the USA).
Delivery time
from order placement to delivery was less than 3 weeks. The  price for
the stock
Seydel Chromatic Deluxe is $89.95 at Coast to Coast  Music (not
including shipping).
So, for the measly additional sum of  $46.05, I got a custom designed
chromatic
harmonica that I  LOVE!  Please note that Seydel manufactures these
special designs;
they do NOT  retune an existing harmonica. This is a very tight little
harp, and  it
compares favorably (IMHO) to the ubiquitous Hohner 270. (Yeah, I do
have one of
them, but I don't like it very much; I prefer the Hohner 280  16-holer.)

I used A=442Hz as the reference pitch, because I wanted a  somewhat
"brighter"
sound. When the slide is OUT, the tuning is IDENTICAL  to the stock
Seydel Blues
Session with Circular Tuning for the Seydel  labeled "G" harp. (That
corresponds to
"C" major.) When the slide is IN,  the tuning is IDENTICAL to the stock
Blues Session
with Circular Tuning  for the Seydel labeled "Ab" (G#) harp. (That
corresponds to
"C#/Db"  major.) Because of the nature of Circular Tuning, the range of
notes  is
actually greater than a standard 12-hole chromatic. My special design
starts on G3,
the G below middle C, and extends up through 3 full octaves  of "C"
major. I wanted
to be able to ascend from the V back up to the  lowest I; it's a nice
little run that's very
useful on the low end. C3 is  the lowest starting point that Seydel will
consider. That
corresponds to  the lowest note on a Hohner 280 (the 16-holer).

Because this special  chromatic has EXACTLY the same breathing patterns
as my
diatonics. It  makes switching between diatonics and chromatic drop dead
simple.
I was  able to take the chromatic out of the nice box, and play "Someone
To  Watch
Over Me" with no fumbling around. The notes I previously had to bend in
the bridge
were so easy to get with the slide in! No intonation  differences
between unbent and
bent notes! No switching mental gears when  changing from diatonic to
chromatic
and back again: just play the thing!  It seems very intuitive to hit the
slide button
whenever an accidental is  required.

It also means that I have all those nice chords available,  which cannot
be played on a
standard chromatic. The only loss (not a big  issue for ME) is that
octaves CANNOT be
played; because of the nature of  Circular Tuning, the breath direction
switches from
one octave to  another. It seems that most players compensate for the
lack of chords
on  the standard chromatic by using octaves for a fuller sound. (Hey!
That's  MY
observation/opinion on using octaves; you're certainly entitled to your
own.)

The biggest obstacle for most people is that the in/out  breathing
patterns switch from
octave to octave with Circular Tuning. It  took me about 4 months to
totally switch from
standard diatonics to the  Circular Tuned diatonics, but I was NOT
practicing every day.
I could  have switched over much sooner, if I had worked at it regularly.

Now my  problem is trying to find the funds to buy more of these special
chromatics!
I'd love to have a complete set in all 12 keys eventually,  but that may
take years, given
that I'm retired and the shekels for my  harp addiction are severely
limited. I have to
thank Mrs. Santa Claus for  an early Christmas present!

Just walking along (while playing harp) on  another "road less traveled,"
Crazy ("bout Seydel harps) Bob"

products.