[Harp-L] My Bob Meehan harp (was: Re: #7 Overdraw)

Jonathan Metts wrote:
"It depends somewhat on the type and key of harp you are playing. Overdraws are also tough to setup, harder for me than overblows. I have maybe one or two harps that I can overdraw cleanly, plus a few more that I can get the note but only with the same squeal you describe."

This post reminded me to get off my duff and post something that's long overdue....... This summer I noticed the the 5draw on my Bob Meehan (bobmeehan.net) customized Marine Band in A had gone fairly flat. I bought this harp from Bob for $85 back in a 2000 - if memory serves me correctly, around the time he first started selling his custom work. That sucker stayed in tune for 6+ years! And from the time I got it, the action spoiled all other harps for me. I could overblow 4, 5, and 6 easily AND overdraw the 7 cleanly with a little effort. About a month ago I finally mailed the harp back to Bob along with a check for $25. I told him it was a bit of a rush job since I was only in the U.S. for a short time, then back to Europe. In no time at all, he replaced the 5draw reed and retuned all the reeds and gave 'em a cleaning. This harp, unbelievably, is now about twice as good at the 2000 model! I can hit the overblows and 7od with total ease. My investment is up to $110 now! If this thing lasts half as long as the last before it needs retuning, I figure that's still around $12 per year for a harp that allows me to do anything I want. Ludicrous value, IMHO. Disclaimer: I'm NOT a pro or full-time player - someone gigging more than me is obviously going to get fewer miles from one of these harps (and the same time, newbies who blow too hard like I once did won't get the same results). Still, I can't say enough good things about Bob's harmonicas and their durability and smoothe-as-silk action.
MN
Explore the seven wonders of the world