[Harp-L] Re: The Chromatic Harmonica

I've heard the expression that diatonic is "more vocal sounding" and the
solo-tuned chromatic is more instrumental sounding.

Partly this is because of the extended bending available on the diatonic,
compared to the alleged limited bending on the chromatic.

But also because of the tuning. Just intonation is allegedly more human
voice-like than (most of ) the equal tempered chromatics (tuned like a piano).

Is the sax superior to the trumpet? No. Just different.

Same with the diatonic and chromatic. While they have a great deal in common,
they also are decidely different instruments -- even if you try to play them
the same.

But then even chromes are different. CX-12 doesn't sound anything like the
conventional chrome -- and that's why I like it.

Phil Lloyd

 See what's new at http://www.aol.com