[Harp-L] RE Blues in Schools

    From: Will Vogtman
I do this once a year in my local school district. I spend at least half the time teaching 5 kids at each school to play through a blues progression. They get to keep their harps. We usually do two schools per year, and the local arts' council pays for it.

  Those Bluesband harps the kids get are good for the purpose. In the past, our local program has given a Special 20 as an award to the most improved student, in other words, the one who shows a passion for it and you're sure will keep playing. This year, I'm getting involved in the local program and am making a two sets of Elk River Special custom harps for awards.
  I decided to donate sets after seeing them last year. I was touched. Most you know will probably never play again, but they have that education now, some you know will be lifelong players.
  You may want to give an award to a student, like a Special 20 or Seydel Session or something. If there are any harp customizers around, you might want to approach them and see if they might donate a custom harp for an award.

Dave Payne Sr.
Harmonicas and music lessons
P.O. Box 3822
Parkersburg WV 26103