[Harp-L] Re: Bruce Springsteen - Magic- Scream

Ahhhh you had to mention Bruce Springsteen's Harmonica: "Thunder Road",
"The River" many other songs use the instrument as a film director might,
to establish a mood, emotion or attitude. He's mostly in the Neil
Young/Dylan/"folk guitar with a rack around the neck" style of playing and
it's so wonderfully perfect for the song.  I must confess: it was seeing
him perform that led me to the harmonica as a way onto a Rock and Roll
stage and salvation.

I saw him front row once, a long time ago.  He was playing "Promised Land"
a harmonica heavy Rock Anthem.  I had my harmonica in pocket as always,
was playing in local blues bands, starting to get it.  After toying with
taking out the harmonica at the show ("Gus" style) I wisely kept it tucked
away and let the experience wash over me as all his concerts do.

It was one of my greatest, longest lasting lessons in Rock and Roll
harmonica playing. There is something to Rock and Roll that doesn't negate
skill, chops or knowledge but is from a different realm; something that
may even be distinct from the emotional catharsis we may find in Blues and
Jazz.  Bruce demonstrated this when he leaned over me to blast through the
ending jam in the song...AS IF he was saying "Clay, this is how to play
the harmonica in a Rock and Roll band."  Raw, passionate, animalistic,
un-nuanced, primal... not the sound one makes when in prison but the sound
one may want to make when being released from prison.

An entire show or song is not played that way (unless you're a Punk or
Hardcore band).  Rock and Roll Bands I like take you to that place through
the show or song; a time and a place to simply scream.  The Harmonica can
scream if the player is willing to remove the chains...regardless of
"skill level" even if it is only for a moment.

Enjoy the Magic,

Clay

--
*ToST Music site, Shows, Tours, Recordings, Rock & Roll/Blues/Harmonica
Adventures:

***For The Leadership Ranch, Low and High Ropes/challenge/team and personal
effectiveness courses:
http://www.leadershipranch.com

Clayton Goldstein
500 Lake Ave  #13