Re: [Harp-L] Blues cliches

There are blues cliches and then there are blues standards.

Basically, the blues is a format -- different from Country, Bluegrass, Folk
and Jump and Swing. Without the proper characteristics, a tune is not a blues
or a country song.

A cliche uses the same trite and hackneyed riff and lyric that has been
beaten to death. Sittin' On Top of World   uses the irony of Happiness (I'm so
happy   I'm sitting on top of the world) except the rest of the lyrics contradict
this happiness theme with losing his woman and celebrating Christmas in his
overalls.

It is often said that one of the chief characteristics of the blues is an
uptempo tune featuring lyrics about a depressing situation.

The old joke about what you get when you play a country record backwards: You
get you dog back, you get your car back, you get your house back and you get
your wife back has an element of truth. The difference between a country song
(crying music) and blues song (I'm so happy I'm sad) are just a different
response to the same loss, disappointment, etc.

A good rule of thumb (hackneyed phrase) is that any phrase (musical or
verbal) that you have seen in print or heard of before is a cliche -- and should be
avoided.

Play classic blues songs -- blues standards -- is one thing. Given the
choice, I would rather heard a collection standards than originals. But don't steal
the solos and best riffs out of great songs and think you have created a new
work of art. Those solos and riffs are cliches. If you want to play those solos
and riffs, play the whole song. Don't   "sample it."

The remarkable thing about the blues is the   variety that has come out of
such a limited form.

Phil Lloyd
"A day without the blues is like a day without sunshine."