Re: [Harp-L] RE: Huang Star Performer Quality

Ken;
        I've got one star performer, a G. I bought it years ago just to try it out. I can't remember why I stopped using it, but I think it might have let me down, and I decided it was just a little delicate for my style.
       I still have it though, and have picked it up & played it recently.
       I must admit, there is 'something' I like about it, but I'm not sure what it is.
       Must try one of those Firebreaths  sometime, though I don't think it's a great name for a harp. Sounds like it should come with a mouthwash.
RD

>>> Ken Deifik <kenneth.d@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 8/10/2007 16:33 >>>

>Hi - I haven't bought a new harp in several years and had a question on
>their recent quality.When I started playing in the 80's the Hohner quality
>was terrible and I started playing Star Performers.I know that harp
>quality has varied over the years, but I've had great luck with the
>Huangs.My experience is that I need to retune 5 and 6 draw occasionally,
>compared to the Lee Oskars I have which seem to stay in tune forever, but
>I prefer the Star Performer tone and playability.Any recommendations are
>welcome.

I played Star Performers for 15 years, until last year.  I really liked
them alot, more than any other harps.  I don't tune harps, so I think the
tuning of the Star Performers probably suited me out of the box.

Last year my D disappeared after a gig, just as a discussion of the Suzuki
Fire Breath was getting going here on Harp-l.  I bought an FB to replace
the missing harp.  I must tell you that it is such a radical improvement
that I will never buy another Star Performer.  Beautiful sound, incredibly
smoothe response up to the 10th hole, better dynamics.  Dang.

Weirdly, on a gig this last March I looked down in my case and the old Star
Performer D was just sitting there.  I have no idea why my eye just
completely missed it for nine months.  Later that evening I pulled tried it
out, and my only reaction was "What on earth did I ever like about THAT?"

Ken