[Harp-L] loud

YES

  Message: 7
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 08:54:38 -0400
From: icemanle@xxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] LOWER VOLUME FOR LIVE MUSIC
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

I believe that people have gotten used to abnormally loud music pushed
 at them to make them feel it rather than allowing them to feel it. I
 find this "make them" attitude to be insulting, as if there is no choice
 in the matter. It is an evolution of sound, equipment, sound techs,
 extreme volumes in movie theaters, residue from disco's thumping bass and
 even Broadway stage musicals. Yes, people have pretty much resigned
 that "This is the way it is" whenever they go out to see live music. As a
 result, many people don't patronize live music scenes on a local level
 like they used to, because they are tired of having their ears ring the
 next day. Is this one reason why smaller clubs are closing and many
 musicians have a harder time establishing their presence and sound?

One of the joys of doing my BOSE PAS thang is watching the amazement of
 the audience when the music is crystal clear, full and NOT TOO LOUD.
 It's like a revelation that they can actually enjoy the music, talk to
 their tablemates, dance or whatever, with the same energy in the room
 but without compromising their eardrums.

Unfortunately, a large percentage of experienced musicians have a hard
 time adjusting at first to the new lower overall volume. Fortunately,
 about 85% of them become converted by the end of the night as they
 realize the potential that resides within NOT TOO LOUD. The remaining 15%
 are just creatures of habit or ego and must hear themselves in their own
 faces pumping away to perform.

It's worth a try by all you weekend warriors and touring semi-pros and
 pros on this list - play at a low volume for a gig. Better yet, try it
 for three gigs in a row to really give it a chance. If nothing else,
 you may discover a very appreciative listening audience.

The Iceman