Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica Polka - looking for a great harmonica polkasong.

I might recommend one of the most popular polkas of all time, the Jenny
Lind Polka, first published in 1846 by Allen Dodworth. It was named for
the famous "Swedish Nightingale," operatic soprano Jenny Lind. She
became of the first international musical stars under the management of
P. T. Barnum and her name was used to sell all sorts of products.

The Jenny Lind Polka has been recorded under many names and in many
variants, including this harmonica version recorded by Louis Blanchette
on tremolo harmonica with piano accompaniment in Montreal in 1938

Jenny Lind is a great tune for either tremolo or just 10-hole diatonic. The first part is in D but can be played cross harp on a G harp and the second part is in G. It's crucial that your accompanist starts the second part with a C chord!! At my gigs/sessions we play it absolutely every time and use it as the intro to the good owld Irish song "I'll Tell Me Ma." What a crowd-pleaser. Jenny Lind is, as far as I know, an English tune. Irish polkas are, in fact, highly suitable for 10-hole diatonics. A very large number of them are either in D Ionian or in A Mixolydian, so it's easy to construct sets with "key-changes" without switching harps. Low D harps are the best bet by far (apart from tremolos if they're your thing) for diatonic players for the majority of these tunes. My CD contains five Irish polkas in two tracks, all played on a low D harp, four of the tunes played cross harp (Ger The Rigger, Bill Sullivan's, Terry Teahan's Favourite, Johnny Mickey's) and one straight harp (Ballyvourney). I love 'em!

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm

The next generation of Hotmail is here!  http://www.newhotmail.co.uk