Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica Polka - looking for a great harmonica polkasong.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Cohen" <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Harp L L" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 2:59 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica Polka - looking for a great harmonica polkasong.

On Oct 17, 2007, at 5:40 PM, Vern Smith wrote:

An iTunes Store search using "polka" as an argument produces 150 hits! You should be able to find one you like among that many.

This might be a a problem. iTunes doesn't give away their products for free. Steve Jobs has to get paid. It takes a lot of money to fly and maintain Gulfstream V.

They do almost give them away.

The iTunes software download is free.
30 second clips of the thousands of songs in the "store" are free to listen to.
When you choose one to buy, it is only 99c. This is much cheaper than spending $12 or more for an album to get one song that you are interested in. The low 99c price provides us with convenient, affordable music, discourages pirating, pays the artists, and provides a profit for Apple. I have a tiny iPod Shuffle (holds 200 songs) hooked up to a ($25) cassette adapter so I can play the music through the tape deck in my old '94 car. Much more convenient than messing with a stack of CDs or cassette tapes.

The recordings in the computer are convenient for use when I wish to transcribe a song for learning/playing on my guitar and Hands-Free-Chromatic. I start the song in iTunes and use the mini controller on the screen. Then I start my Allegro notation software. I can reset the slider to listen to a few measures of the tune, repeatedly if I wish, then write the notes onto the staff. This way I can nibble my way through the transcription a measure or two at a time...all my poor old brain can accommodate. In Allegro, you can transpose to another key by merely changing the key signature. Even the chord names change. I imagine that you can do the same sort of thing with Band-in-a Box.

You can burn the purchased songs into your own CD.

Try it, you'll like it. I can remember when such things were unimaginable!

I say "Hooray for Steve Jobs!" He's a creative genius.

Vern