Re: [Harp-L] What's the best octave pedal out there?

dennis moriarty wrote:
<Both expensive and relatively inexpensive recommendations please.
<Simplicity is always welcome. Something that does not affect the
<organic tone of the amp (in my case a Kinder Soulful) and mike (in my
<case a Steve Warner Thunderharp mike) much if at all. I've had lots
<of experiences with various delays but I'm octave splitter (I think
<that's the term) naive. Thank you. dennis

There are some great octave devices out there. On the inexpensive side, the Digitech RP series pedals have a terrific pitch shifter. It tracks everything you throw at it, from single notes to big chords, low notes to high notes, perfectly and rapidly. The first time I tried the RP200 in the store, it was an octave patch that made me take the thing home. RP200s go for less than $100 new (they've been discontinued, and remaining units are selling cheap). The newer RP devices, i.e. the 150/250/350, have an intelligent pitch shifter that tracks scale intervals accurately too. The RP200 octave doubler is the device I'm using on my recording "In The Night," which you can hear at either the Myspace or Broadjam URLs below.

On the expensive side, an Electro Harmonix POG will set you back about $350, I think, and a HOG runs something like $100 more than that. Either one will do multiple octaves simultaneously, and the HOG throws in 5ths and 3rds too. It's a big part of Hazmat Modine's sound.

If you want something inexpensive and great-sounding, try the RP. If you want the biggest sound you can get regardless of price, get a HOG. Either way, you're getting great value for money. Octave doublers just sound wonderful on harp.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com
harmonica blog at http://myspace.com/richardhunterharp
Latest mp3s always at http://broadjam.com/rhunter