Re: [Harp-L] Get a career!

I can't tell you how often someone will ask me what I do and then say, "but what do you do for a LIVING?" So Blah.

Any thoughts?

My personal solution: Never, ever give the slightest thought to what other people think unless they have a paying job for you.

If this sounds glib, trust me, it is the only way I have made it through.

Most everyone I have ever encountered has a survival system that includes ways in which they can find a way to feel superior to you. That is the real subtext of 'But what do you do for a living?'

I've never met anybody who doesn't feel superior to a diatonic harmonica player. It's not a good business to be in if you that kind of stuff to heart.

If you must answer that stupid question, tell people you get paid to make life worth living for other people, because that is what you do.

That imbecilic young woman who insulted you outside of Antone's --- most nights I would have turned and walked away, as you probably did. On a bad night I would have told her that as she grew older she was going to turn into her mother, no matter how much she fought against it.

That is the most devastating thing you can say to a mean young woman.