Re: [Harp-L] Get a career!

Career? I prefer to call it a lifestyle that one actually gets paid to live.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Rubin" <rubinmichael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "d d d" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2007 9:42 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Get a career!

Last night I played Antones in Austin. My band Sick's Pack (checkout myspace for Sick'spack and/or Spyder the drummer for samples) played and for a portion of the show, we backed up a burlesque show. The leader of the burlesque troupe is Sick's girlfriend, so we have often double billed with them, but this is the first time we've backed them up except for one song. Anyway, the show went great, about 400 people there. (All for the headlining band, MArch 4th, but that's what opening is about)

Before the dancers came on stage, I wore a button down shirt. When they arrived I took off the top shirt to reveal a Rolling Stones t-shirt, all black backround with a huge tongue all over the front, the better to suggest ogling the dancers.

Walking home I passed by a 21 year old (estimate) woman who seemed slightly inebriated, but certainly capable of holding a conversation, which went like this;

Her: Why do you have a giant mouth on your shirt?

Me: Well, first, it is a Rolling Stones, the band, t-shirt. Next, I was playing music backing up a burlesque show. Do you know what a burlesque show is?

She:No.

Me: Well, it's essentially strippers, but they're theatrical with humor, it has roots in vaudeville.

She: Why don't you get a career?

Me: (Shocked into the not able to form the proper arguments quick enough state) Playing music is not a career?

She: For a BURLESQUE show?

Me: Well, why isn't it a career?

She: Because it is not a career.

At this point I walked away. I have since argued with in in my head. First, intellectually I know not to take it personally because it is her story she is telling, not mine. Emotionally, I feel angry that she has the nerve to make assumptions and judge me on the assumptions.
I inferred that she assumed that was my only gig. Then she saw it as either not serious work or morally wrong. I extended her comments to not just be about burlesque musicians,but musicians in general. This went straight to one of my big buttons. I can't tell you how often someone will ask me what I do and then say, "but what do you do for a LIVING?" So Blah.

 Any thoughts?
 Michael Rubin
 Michaelrubinharmonica.com