[Harp-L] two questions from a newbie

Hi-

I just came across the listserv last week. I am just starting out on harmonica although I play other instruments. My goal is to learn how to play with a rack so as to play the harmonica at the same time as the guitar. I purchased a special 20 diatonic C and a helpful neighbor lent me his LO rack. I've also ordered two books by David Barrett: they are called something like First Lessons and Building Technique.

I had a couple of questions if someone wouldn't mind answering them. If I was going to play fiddle tunes or bluegrass/folk oriented material, would I be playing in cross harp or ___________ (whatever the other term is - playing a C harp for a song in the key of C)? Is that just a question of preference?

Also, I am interested in eventually getting one of the xb40 harps and was wondering what kind of rack would fit one. I like the look of those Jim Dunlop Harp Handles but it looks like the xb40 might not fit in it. I have tried one of the Hohner racks but I feel like I havce to bend my neck a lot to get to the harmonica. The Lee Oskar is nice too but what I like about the Harp Handle from the pictures is that it is very adjustable.

If anyone has any advice on certain instructional matierals they think I should check out, I'd be happy to hear about them as well.

Thanks very much,
Sam