[Harp-L] Re: two questions from a newbie

Sam,

Welcome to the Harp-L list!

Since you are starting out, you'll have to experiment to figure out
what you really want to do on harmonica. That means you'll have
to purchase several different harmonicas from different manufacturers.

I started out trying to play the blues on diatonic. My first harps were
the Hohner Golden Melody. I loved the 12ET tuning and the notes just
poured out of them. Unfortunately, I was trying to force bend the notes,
and I blew out one harp a week, a definite no-no on a restricted budget.

I searched the Internet for advice, and learned that the Lee Oskar harps
had a reputation for longevity. I tried them and liked them, and they did
hold up much better to the abuse. However, the sound is a little "thin"
when compared to the Golden Melodies, IMHO.

I then tried the Turbo Harp (a Hohner Special 20 with Turbo Lids). By
this time, I had bought several other harps, including the obligatory
Hohner Marine Band. I love the Turbo Harp sound, and the longevity
is similar to the Lee Oskar harps. (Actually, I was learning how to achieve
various sounds without abusing the harps.) I don't care for wooden comb
harps, and I personally don't prefer the JI tuning.

I have an XB40 in the key of C. It gets plenty of shelf time. However, I heard
Al Smith of Harmonica Hotshots ( a world-class player) play Steel Guitar Rag
on an XB40, and I would have sworn he had a steel guitar in his mouth!

About 6 months ago, I tried the Seydel Circular (Zirkular). Until something
better comes along, I'm sold on them. 12ET tuning, and (so far) they seem
to hold up as good as the Lee Oskars. They allow me more options for
playing gospel.bluegrass/old time music.

I also tried the standard Hohner C64 chromatic. I've never gotten past the
sticky windsavers. Every time I try, one will stick, and I toss the harp back
into the drawer for another day. Vern's HFC (Hands-Free-Chromatic) is
intriguing, but it's a little pricey - for me: I'm retired. If you're willing to
invest some serious money into having some really high-quality gear,
this would probably be a great bet. I'm trying to save up for a customized
Seydel Baritone Chromatic with Circular Tuning, estimated price around
$150.00. I figure since I already use the Circular Tuning on diatonics, then
it makes sense to try a chromatic with the same tuning. The only drawback:
that model of Seydel harp only comes with a wooden comb.

I play mostly lead for a Southern Gospel trio (with piano and bass). I also
play with different bluegrass/old time bands. I use a lot of chords
(chugging) whenever I'm not playing lead.

Seydel Circular (Zirkular):

Advantages for bluegrass/old time/gospel:
1. All of the notes in a given major scale (and consequently, in all modes)
are available for over two full octaves.
2. All chord triads built on the diatonic scale are available for over two octaves.
3. The blow note in a given hole is ALWAYS lower in tone than the draw
note. Consequently, the available bent notes are a halftone bend only.
4. There is a nice run from the 5th scale degree up to the 1st scale degree
on the lowest octave.
5. Seydel provides the full 12-key set as production models. Various other
lower tunings are available for a small extra fee. My supplier of choice is
Coast To Coast Music, (1) because the owners are my friends, and (2) I
have always gotten prompt and courteous service from them, and (3) their
prices are always just about the lowest prices around. My last order arrived
two days after I called it in.

Disadvantages for bluegrass/old time/gospel:
1. The middle octave note placement on the blow/draw notes is reversed
from the lowest and highest octave. I had already developed muscle
memory for the hole 7 switch on standard Richter harps. It took me about
two months to get used to the Circular note pattern. If you are just learning,
then an alternate tuning will not be as difficult to learn as if you were already
playing the standard Richter tuning.
2. The chords sound similar to a piano, not to a Marine Band. As John
Broecker put it on SlideMeister (another harp list), the chords sound "20th
century orchestral" rather than like typical harp chord sounds. When chugging
(a la mandolin chugs), I don't notice the difference; you might.
3. The bends are not as deep as on a typical Richter tuned harp. If you're
playing typical bluegrass, this won't be as much of an issue as if you were
playing primarily blues or other genres.
4. The Circular tuning is an alternate (non-standard) tuning, available only
from one manufacturer (currently). Don't expect to go down to your local
bricks-and-mortar music store and buy one or a set of them.

As you can see, you're in for some experimentation to see what works best -
for YOU. There is no one-size-fits-all answer in the harmonica world. You
"pay your dues" by buying, trying, buying, trying, until you find the "sound"
that works for what you are playing and the sound that you want.

Best of luck!
Crazy ('bout harp!) Bob