[Harp-L] contemporary African harpists

   Anybody remember the African player who attended the 1991 S.P.A.H. World
Harmonica Festival in Romulus, Michigan?  That may have been the Jean
Emilien that Ben Felton speaks of.  He accompanied himself on a
peculiar string instrument and I think he actually was from Madagascar.
That guy was a wonderful player and a joy to listen to.  His music was
really infectious and smile inducing.
   Aren't we about due for another World Harmonica Fest here in the States?
However, I do recall asking a S.P.A.H. executive a couple years after that '
91 convention when the next one would be.  He looked at me like I was nuts
and told me he hoped to never see another one here.  Apparently the work
load and logistics were an absolute nightmare.  That's a shame; because if
you think a regular S.P.A.H. convention is fun, the World version is twice
as much fun and inspiring.

Mick Zaklan