Re: [Harp-L] Re: Miss You live 1990

The old Fats Domino records were released with the original recordings were
"speeded up" to make his voice slightly higher so it would sound younger.

This made it difficult for piano players (and others) to play along with his
records unless they had variable speed turntables (that allowed for slightly
faster or slower speeds) to make the recordings "play on pitch."

(Some DJ's thought this was funny, because the music would sound like Fats
was "playing between the cracks" on the piano. But most piano players could
figure out that either Fat's piano was out of tune or the record was speeded up.)
One of my phonographs had a "strobe" so you could adjust the turntable to an
"accurate" 33 1/3 rpm or 45 rpm or 78 rpm by siimply swisting a knob.

The Alvin and Chipmonks recordings were all speeded up (if you play them at
half speed they just sound like regular humans -- not cartoon characters.)

The various "slow down" software programs would allow you to adjust the pitch
on a CD -- maybe somebody else knows how to change the pitch on a youtube
playback. Somebody said Windows will let you slow down a video -- but I never
figured out how.